Monday, September 24, 2007

Which Way is the Wind Blowing?

Ever notice that you are rarely aware of the wind when it’s at your back? This not so profound observation registered in my mind today during my morning jog. While running north on the Perryville Trail, I was enjoying the subtle transition taking place as the trees begin changing color for fall. As I progressed down the trail, it never occurred to me that there was a wind at my back propelling me on my way. Not until I turned around to head home did I realize there was a wind, and a significant one at that.

As I fought the resistance I began reflecting upon my life and how frequently this situation played out in my walk with Christ. Often, when life is going well, I fall into the trap of self sufficiency. Though God, like the wind, is propelling me forward, I tend to over estimate my influence on good circumstances, while underestimating (or even discounting altogether) the enormous contribution of God. Unfortunately, I’m sad to admit, it’s only when I feel the resistance that I begin to focus on the One who is truly in charge.

Now I believe there are two reasons God brings resistance into our lives. First, we may be heading in a bad direction. When this occurs, God allows us to experience difficult circumstances in order to get our attention that we may turn back toward his way and experience his blessing. However, a difficult circumstance of God’s wind in our faces is not always an indication that we are heading in a wrong direction.

The other reason God allows difficult circumstances to enter into our lives is to give us an opportunity to trust Him, to rest in His strength, and to experience sanctification. In this way, the wind of resistance has the effect like that on a kite. Without that stiff wind, we would not be able to soar to new heights. The key then is to rightly discern which way the wind is blowing, and why.

No comments: