Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Lessons Learned from D. L. Moody


Consecrate Yourself for God’s work

During his first trip to England while Moody was recovering from a spiritual depression and fatigue, he heard these words, “The world has yet to see what God will do with and for and through and in and by the man who is fully and wholly consecrated to Him. ‘He said a man,’ thought Moody; ‘he did not say a great man, nor a learned man, nor a rich man, nor a wise man, nor a eloquent man, nor a smart man, but simply a man. I am a man, and it lies with the man himself whether he will or will not make that entire and full consecration. I will try my utmost to be that man.”[1]

“It has been noted that Moody frequently determined upon a course that did not appear wise to his friends. This meant that their perspective was obscured by what appeared to be insurmountable obstacles. Such obstructions never obscured Mr. Moody’s vision, for if once he thought an object worth attaining, he undertook its achievement with an enthusiasm and vigor equaled only by his determined perseverance. It was this last trait that contributed very largely to his success. Many of this enterprises would have been abandoned by a less courageous and persistent character.”[2]

One evangelist of San Jose` describes an experience with Moody that forever changed his life: “One day the leader assigned did not get there in time, and Mr. Moody came to me, requesting that I take charge. I had just arrived from a journey, hot and dusty. ‘Mr. Moody’, I said, ‘I am just in from a long absence and am not presentable. Excuse me, please, and at some other time I will lead the meeting.’ I shall never forget the incident, for it was the turning point in my life. ‘I thought you were a Christ soldier,’ he said, and added, ‘Go forward and we will pray for you.’ As soon as the meeting was over he came again and thanked me. You did well, he said. But it is all wrong this holding back! Your duty is clear; keep in front. Be a minute man.!”[3]


[1] William R. Moody, The Life of Dwight L. Moody, (Sword of the Lord Publishers: Murfreesboro, TN; 1900), 134.
[2] Ibid., 507
[3] Ibid., 120.

No comments: