Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Just are His Judgments

There is a truth to which my mind turns now and then to help me cherish the grace of God.  I was reminded of that truth today in Revelation 16:4-7.  During the Tribulation, when the third bowl of God’s wrath is poured out on the earth the result will be that the rivers and the springs of water will become blood.  In response to this demonstration of God’s wrath an angel says, “Just are you, O Holy One, who is and who was, for you brought these judgments.  For they have shed the blood of saints and prophets, and you have given them blood to drink.  It is what they deserve!”  John then writes, “And I heard the altar saying, ‘Yes, Lord God the Almighty, true and just are your judgments!’”

This text reminded me that if God did not save me, or anyone for that matter, He would still be praised for all of eternity by the angels in heaven for His perfect justice.  My absence from heaven would not result in absence of praise to God.  God is not compelled to save anyone on account of foreseeing something missing from heaven were He to not save them.  God is moved by His free and sovereign grace to redeem sinners, making them objects of His everlasting kindness instead of wrath, causing the angels to praise Him for His mercy toward them rather than judgment.  “Grace, grace, God’s grace, Grace that is greater than all my sin.”

No comments: