Saturday, April 5, 2008

Anxiety Fighter Verses

In last week's sermon I mentioned how we should use the Scriptures to fight unbelief. Some of you were interested in finding more. How about starting with these? I found this list in a John Piper's book, Future Grace.

When I am anxious about…

My ability to continue in difficult circumstances, I fight unbelief with…

"Fear not for I am with you, be not dismayed for I am your God, I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you, with my victorious right hand” (Isaiah 41:10).

My ministry being useless and empty…
“So shall My word be which goes forth from my mouth; it shall not return to Me empty, without accomplishing what I desire, and without succeeding in the matter for which I sent it” (Isaiah 55:11).

Being too weak to do my work…
My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness” (2 Corinthians. 12:9).

Decisions I have to make about the future…
“I will instruct you and teach you in the way which you should go; I will counsel you with My eye upon you” (Psalm 32:8).

Getting old…
“Even to your old age, I shall be the same, and even to your graying years I shall bear you! I have done it, and I shall carry you; and I shall bear you, and I shall deliver you” (Isaiah 46:4).

Dying…
“…not one of us lives for himself and not one of us dies for himself; for if we live, we live for the Lord, or if we die, we die for the Lord; therefore whether we live or die, we are the Lord’s. For to this end Christ died and lived again that He might be Lord both of the dead and of the living” (Romans 14:7-9).

That I may make shipwreck of faith and fall away from God…
“He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus” (Philippians 1:6).

Taken from John Piper’s book Future Grace, p. 59-61.

1 comment:

christine said...

good stuff, john. met an old grace friend today and had fun reminiscing. hope all is well with you and the family. (christine (lee) hahn)